10 things I learnt in 2017
“A moment’s insight is sometimes worth a life’s experience.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- Time is precious – As I’m sitting here writing this blog I can’t believe a whole year has passed already and what’s even scarier is that I can barely remember what happened. Am I confident that I cherished my time the same way I cherish food or any other life essentials? Definitely not, but it’s something I’m learning to do and will continue to priorities my decisions on how I use my time just as much as I cherish anything else because time is something that cannot be replaced.
- I am blessed to live where I do – In April I went on a cruise and visited some of the most beautiful Islands I have ever seen and are home to some of the poorest people in the world. I’ll never forget how incredibly happy, friendly and polite the people were. Driving around and seeing the poor living conditions some of the families live in and the limited opportunities they have yet they seemed more content than any of the people we met on the ship.
- Breathe – The power of taking a breath before reacting to a situation, making a decision or relieving stress is amazing!
- The importance of communication – My husband and I live busy lives and the time’s where we noticed we started getting more frustrated with each other than normal was when we stopped communicating. The lack of simple communication like how we were feeling or what was going through our mind started taking its toll on our relationship but once we realised that we were lacking a simple chat, things immediately improved.
- How much I value our friends – Over the years our family have established a solid group of friends most of which are more like family to us now and were actually the results of friendships our children have made at kindy and school. I love and appreciate every single one of our friends and am so thankful for another year of making memories with them.
- I know what I want to be when I grow up – It only took 27 years but this year I finally found what I really want to do. I started reading about LNP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which is defined as is an approach to communication, personal development, and psychotherapy. It’s basically a set of rules and techniques recommended for changing behaviour to achieve self-improvement, self-management, and more effective interpersonal communications. I have enrolled into a professional coaching course specialising in wellness and will also do an extra course on workplace coaching.
- Healthy eating is a must – I admit that the results of eating a lot of junk food is finally catching up with my body and general health. The experts aren’t joking when they tell us to be mindful of what we are putting in our body and a nutritious diet is key for our general well-being.
- Crystals are so much more than a pretty rock – I have always been interested in crystals but never really knew the purpose of them. It’s during the last few months of the year I have been learning about the energy of individual crystals and how the vibrations they give can help us.
- Some things are better left unsaid – It’s as simple as that.“Speak only if it improves upon the silence.”- Gandhi
- The older kids grow, the harder parenting gets – Seriously though, what a challenging part of daily life parenting is, and I always thought that it would get easier with age! I’ve learnt that EVERY child is different and the worst thing you can do as a parent is compare your child to others (no matter their age). I’ve also learnt that you can’t control who your children choose to be friends with, but you can teach them right from wrong and guide them to make good choices.
I could keep adding to my list all day but these are my top 10 learnings for the year. I hope everyone had a fantastic end to 2017 and I’ll be sending the most postive vibes to everyone for an unforgettable 2018!
Thanks for reading!