10 essential tips for setting goals
“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.”
I have mentioned before that my dream is to one day be able to help people overcome fear and self doubt by setting meaningful goals and then help them in closing the gap between where they are now and where they want to be. I have previously shared my tips on how to draw your future which is a visual way of setting goals so today I thought I would put together some more tips that can be used in combination with visual goal setting or on their own.
- Plan what you want to achieve – If you are sitting down with a pen and planning on setting some goals its probably because you want to change your life in someway. So sit and ask yourself some questions, what to you want to be? What do you want to do? What do you want to have? It’s important to answer these questions to build a vision which is an integral part of goal setting. `
- Establish your motivation – I have written a post previously which will really help you with discovering your why and this will be what drives and motivates you to keep going even if things don’t go to plan.
- Ask yourself what impact reaching your goal will have – Will this goal have a permanent positive impact on your life? How will it change your life and how will it feel?
- Establish what values are most important to you- This is SO important! If your goals contradict your values then it is likely that your goals will fail to bring you any happiness or fulfilment in life and will actually have a negative impact to your life in general. What is important to you?
- Understanding Limiting Beliefs- The beliefs that you hold are either empowering, or, dis-empowering so its important to identify what your beliefs are. Your beliefs can be something that you have been brought up to believe or have been influenced by the environment you live/work in. Your mindset and your ways of thinking either will either help you, or hold you back.
- Challenge your beliefs – If your parents have always said “Get an education, It is the most important thing” but you have a goal which has no need for a university degree, do you have to go through life thinking that if you don’t get an education you will fail? Absolutely not, so remember that your beliefs can change and there’s nothing wrong with that
- Establish a time frame – To better manage your goals you need to give yourself a time frame to achieve them, whether its a month, 6 months or a year this will help you better track your progress.
- Plan how you’re going to get there – Write some easy, small steps to help get to where you want to be. There is no point in setting your goal as “To be the CEO of a business by the end of the year” as there are so many smaller steps you need to take in between to reach your end goal.
- Take action – Now you have got your small steps, take action. Even if it is as simple as enrolling in a class or getting up earlier to fit in a workout. Whatever it may be start the process and get one step closer to your end goal.
- Check in – It’s important to keep your goals close to you and evaluate how things are going. Be prepared to pivot and turn throughout this journey as there are times when you may have to re direct your path to achieve your goal and that’s OK! Celebrate success along the way, don’t wait until the end and most of all if you feel your goal no longer aligns with your values then stop and start over.
I hope some of these tips help with your process of setting goals! What goals are you currently working towards?
Thanks for reading ☮