10 Essential Tips For Goal Setting
“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” – Tony Robbins
I am currently studying to be a life coach and while on my journey I have learnt some amazing, practical steps on goal setting that I can’t wait to share! Having goals is like having a map. You know where you are heading, and this gives you enthusiasm, motivation, more energy and a reason to get up in the morning. The process of setting goals helps you choose where you want to go in life. By knowing precisely what you want to achieve, you know where you must concentrate your efforts. You’ll also quickly spot the distractions that can, so easily, lead you astray.
- Plan what you want to achieve – If you are sitting down with a pen and planning on setting some goals it’s probably because you want to change your life in some way. So, sit and ask yourself some questions, what do you want to be? What do you want to do? What do you want to have? It’s important to answer these questions to build a vision which is an integral part of goal setting. `
- Establish your motivation – If you read my post about my business venture “Grounding Growth” you’ll get a pretty clear idea as to what my purpose is and why. When you discover your own purpose this will be your key driver and will motivate you to keep going even if things don’t go to plan.
- Ask yourself what impact reaching your goal will have – Will this goal have a permanent positive impact on your life? How will it change your life and how will it feel?
- Establish what values are most important to you – This is SO important! If your goals contradict your values, then it is likely that your goals will fail to bring you any happiness or fulfilment in life and will actually have a negative impact to your life in general. What is important to you?
- Understanding Limiting Beliefs- The beliefs that you hold are either empowering, or, dis-empowering so it’s important to identify what your beliefs are. Your beliefs can be something that you have been brought up to believe or have been influenced by the environment you live/work in. Your mindset and your ways of thinking either will either help you or hold you back.
- Challenge your beliefs – If your parents have always said “Get an education, It is the most important thing” but you have a goal which has no need for a university degree, do you have to go through life thinking that if you don’t get an education you will fail? Absolutely not, so remember that your beliefs can change and there’s nothing wrong with that
- Establish a time frame – To better manage your goals you need to give yourself a time frame to achieve them, whether its a month, 6 months or a year this will help you better track your progress.
- Plan how you’re going to get there – Write some easy, small steps to help get to where you want to be. There is no point in setting your goal as “To be the CEO of a business by the end of the year” as there are so many smaller steps you need to take in between to reach your end goal.
- Take action – Now you have got your small steps, take action. Even if it is as simple as enrolling in a class or getting up earlier to fit in a workout. Whatever it may be start the process and get one step closer to your end goal.
- Check in – It’s important to keep your goals close to you and evaluate how things are going. Be prepared to pivot and turn throughout this journey as there are times when you may have to re direct your path to achieve your goal and that’s OK! Celebrate success along the way, don’t wait until the end and most of all if you feel your goal no longer aligns with your values then stop and start over.
I hope some of these tips help with your process of setting goals! What goals are you currently working towards?
Thanks for reading and make sure you share your smile with the world today ☮